The Kennel Club

Insurance for dog trainers, clubs, societies and organisers of companion dog shows

Frequently asked questions

Who can apply for the insurance product?

The Kennel Club insurance product has been specifically designed for the Kennel Club and its clubs, societies shows and trainers (KCAI Member) and a discounted premium has been allocated to this group associated with the Kennel Club. It is also available to those not associated with the Kennel Club, however, this group will be charged our standard rates.

What insurance products do you offer?

The Kennel Club insurance policy is specifically designed for canine clubs and societies, organisers or Companion Dog Shows, dog training instructors and canine behaviourists.

The Kennel Club insurance policy includes the following covers as standard: professional indemnity, directors’ and trustees’ liability, employers’ liability and personal accident. Property damage and event cancellation can also be purchased in addition to the core covers, in order to create a tailored package suitable for your needs.

How do I pay for the insurance policy?

Where you purchase an annual Kennel Club Insurance policy, you can only pay the premium in full by Direct Debit on an annual basis. Short period covers are also available for event organisers which must be paid for in full at time of purchase, via either credit or debit card only.

What is Insurance Premium Tax?

Insurance Premium Tax is an additional tax on general insurance premiums. While you pay VAT on regular goods, Insurance Premium Tax is paid on insurance. The premium quotation you receive includes Insurance Premium Tax at a 12% rate.

What is an excess when talking about insurance?

This is the amount you have to pay towards each agreed claim. The excess for each cover section of your policy will be clearly shown on your policy schedule.

When does the insurance policy and cover start?

The policy will begin on the day you have requested it to start and will continue for a period of 12 months. You will be required to renew your policy at each anniversary, providing payment for the next period of insurance.

How will I receive my insurance policy documents?

Your policy documents will be emailed to you immediately after you have completed your online purchase. If you do not receive your policy documents then you can retrieve these via the Members area

How does the insurance renewals process work?

The policy will be on an annual basis which means that you will need to renew your policy each year. You will be able to do this simply by logging in to the Members area of the website and paying the premium for the new policy period. You must ensure that you tell us of any changes to your activities as described in your insurance policy as this may affect your cover.

What if I want to amend my insurance policy?

If you want to amend your policy, you will simply need to log in to the Members area of the website in order to make the appropriate change, however you may be required to contact us for certain changes- this will be made clear to you when making your request.

What if I want to cancel my insurance policy?

If you would like to cancel your Kennel Club Insurance policy, please send a formal email to instructing us to cancel your cover. The email should contain your name, policy number, cancellation date and the reason why you wish to cancel. In the event that you do change your mind after purchasing your policy, you have 14 days to cancel the policy and, providing that no claims have been made, receive a full refund. After that period you can cancel your policy by giving 30 days notice and you will receive a refund of the premium for the remaining portion of the period of insurance after the effective date of cancellation for which you have already paid.

What do I do if my turnover increases whilst I’m on cover?

If you purchase cover for a canine club or society or an organiser of a Companion Dog Show, and your turnover exceeds £100,000 or if you purchase cover for dog training or dog handler training and your turnover increases by £2,500 or exceeds £100,000 then you will need to update your policy accordingly at your policy renewal by logging in to the Members area of the website.

What do I do if my wageroll increases whilst I’m on cover?

If you purchase Employers’ liability cover and your wage roll increases by £25,000 or exceeds £100,000 then you will need to update your policy accordingly at your policy renewal by logging in to the Members area of the website.

How do I make a claim on my insurance?

Claiming couldn't be easier. Please visit our dedicated 'Claims' page for more information.

What to do if you have a complaint

If you wish to register a complaint, please contact us quoting your policy number:

  • Writing to: Business Risk, Howden Insurance Brokers Limited, One Creechurch Place, London, EC3A 5AF United Kingdom
  • Telephoning: +44 (0)20 7623 3806
  • Telephoning: +44 (0)20 7623 3806
  • Fax: +44 (0)20 7623 3807
  • E-mailing:

If you cannot settle your complaint with us, you may be entitled to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

What if I am unable to meet the policy acceptance criteria?

If you are unable to meet any of the acceptance criteria during the application process, your details will be referred to Howden and may be passed to Hiscox for review. Howden will then contact you to confirm your policy terms and conditions.

What activities are not covered under the policy?

As with any insurance policy, there are certain exclusions. For a full list of what is and what is not covered, you can review the policy wording here. However, you must advise us as part of your application if you plan to undertake any events or activities that involve the use of any playground or inflatable play equipment, or any fireworks, bonfires, sparklers, airborne lanterns, pyrotechnics or any explosive devices. The use of live ammunition and the increased perceived risk is taken into account in the policies for clubs who hold gundog activities (this does not apply to starter pistols).

Is any gundog activity associated with the club covered?
If your club organises any gundog events, training or fundraising events, this will be covered as outlined in the policy wording.

There is a point in your policy wording that states that you do not cover for use by the club or any member of any weaponry – is this the case?
A Through your insurance as a dog club, the liability lies through the control of the dogs in your custody through your club activities, and not through the use of live ammunition. It is therefore expected that all guns hold a valid personal insurance policy (as they are required to do so by law) to cover for such an occurrence, and it is your responsibility as the club to ensure that this is in place for all guns.

What is member to member liability?

Member to member liability means that the following people are also indemnified under your policy for their activities at any meeting, function, event, training session or show organised by you or in which you take part:

  • Any person officially registered as a member of yours;
  • Any person handling a dog for a registered member of yours;
  • Any person handling any other animal approved by us in writing for a registered member of yours;
  • Any person who is the owner or custodian of a dog being trained by you;
  • Any person who is the owner or custodian of any other animal approved by us in writing being trained by you;
  • Any person undertaking club or society activities on your behalf, including invited judges and stewards.

Member to member liability is included as standard as part of the public and products liability section unless you have specifically requested to exclude it. If you do not require this cover, the premium for your public and products liability insurance will be reduced.

How do you use my data?

Howden will use your data primarily to evaluate and process your application for insurance and administer your policy. For more information how your data is used please read the Fair Processing Notice

Get in touch

If you can’t find what you’re looking for on our FAQs page please contact us

Contact info